We are looking for English speaking assistants based in Moscow or willing to take care of their own relocation. Positions available in each of our programs: Toddler Community, Casa dei Bambini, Elementary Community, Middle School (Centre for Work and Study).
This position requires a warm and friendly personality with the ability to relate well and be sensitive to the feeling and needs of both children and adults. The Assistant Teacher assists the Lead Teacher and the group leader, preparing and maintaining classroom environments in which the Montessori approach to education is implemented. The position reports directly to the Lead Teacher.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
INTERACTION WITH CHILDREN
- Treat the children in an open, honest and loving manner, always with dignity and respect.
- Be consistent, do what you say and say what you do.
- Trust that children are able to do things by themselves.
- Be aware of concentration of the child and avoid disturbing at all costs.
- Always speak to the children in a natural manner, and always use correct terminology.
- When talking to a child be at the child level and make eye contact, give your 100% to that child.
- Always step in if you see a child may hurt himself/herself or another child.
- If there are not many children at school on any one given day, use your time to make materials for the class
- Grab, pull a child. Generally, never touch a child unless invited.
- Follow a child around for you own pleasure.
- Continuously talk or make casual comments when the children are working.
- Favor a child.
- Present materials to a child unless previously shown and asked to by the Lead Teacher.
- Leave items laying around. Always put everything back in its proper place.
- If you have an interest or hobby, talk to your Lead Teacher and see if you can share something with the children.
- Think of games or activities you can do with the children in the park.
- Help the Lead Teacher plan the week/ activities/ gatherings.
- Make items for class; arts and crafts, holidays celebrations, picnic.
- Bring in objects of interest to share with the children.
- Teach new songs or dances.
- Monitor safety indoors and outdoors to ensure adults are positioned and spaced so that all children are safe.
- Respond calmly and effectively during an emergency. If you are the one closest, deal with the incident accordingly, then report everything to the appropriate supervisor. Complete an incident report immediately and give it to the appropriate supervisor.
- Maintain and assist in daily maintenance and cleaning of the educational environment. Lead Teacher and Assisting Teacher are responsible for;
- Cleanliness of materials on the shelves.
- Cleaning daily used items; plates, cups, painting materials.
- Floors need to be swept
- Daily supplies check; fruits, paper, toilet roll
- If things are low, fill in a order form and take it to the office on the appropriate day.
- General tidiness of the class
- Throughout the day, keep the environment in order: clean, supplied and in good repair, and assist in rotating daily classroom materials on a regular basis.
- Share the responsibility of food preparation throughout the day.
- Assist in following classroom toileting procedures, changing children as necessary. Please report after each time to the lead teacher so this information can be used in reports.
- In the interest of the students and other staff members, mobile phones should be switched to the silent mode. Please leave it in your bag and only check when you are on a break or after the children have left. They should be used in emergencies only.
WORKING WITH FAMILIES
- Always have a friendly, positive approach with parents.
- Share information about upcoming gatherings, workshops and information days.
- Talk to parents about the children. If a parent asks you a question about the children, redirect it to the Lead Teacher. If parents give you information about the child redirect it the Lead Teacher.
RELATIONSHIP WITH SCHOOL/CLASSROOM PERSONNEL
- Implement changes requested by the supervisor in a timely manner.
- Be flexible to assist in other classrooms as needed, take direction from other classroom staff.
- Take direction from Lead Teacher and from Curriculum Director when Lead Teacher is not available.
- Attend and participate in all scheduled staff meetings, parent education meetings, in-service trainings and in-service training weeks.
- Participate in weekly in-room staff meetings, and come prepared with input and ideas.
- Demonstrate creativity in finding new and better ways to do things and seek to improve the program.
- Demonstrate proper judgment and decision making skills regularly and in a crisis.
PROFESSIONAL GROWTH AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Fill in staff evaluation forms twice a year.
- Maintain and update personnel files with administration.
- Participate in recommended training programs, educational conferences and other courses pertinent to professional growth.
- Maintain confidentiality with families and staff.
- Be punctual with regular attendance; follow call-in procedure when sick or in an emergency.
- Maintain positive work attitude, share information with appropriate persons or supervisors
- Follow ALL policies as outlined in Employee handbook (contract).
General Employee Expectations
All persons applying for employment with the Montessori School of Moscow need to have fluency in English and in most cases, Russian. We welcome people who are enthusiastic to work with parents and children and are willing to take on challenges. Positive attitude, strong work ethic, problem-solving skills and teachability are imperative for success at the Montessori School of Moscow. Ability to work independently and in teams is very important and so is maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Requisites for Employment
We have no requirements for any type of higher education but it is strongly preferred; persons in good academic standing are of most interest to us. To become a Lead Teacher in any of the Montessori programs offered by our school, one must have international training obtained under the guidance of AMI at the relevant level.
Background Check, Work Authorization, Drug Testing
All candidates for employment with Montessori School of Moscow are required to provide copies of their educational documents, copies of their passport, a list of 3 references with relevant contact information and other information as required by Head of School. Once offered employment at the Montessori School of Moscow and before the contract is signed, more information is required in line with Russian labor legislation. Montessori School of Moscow reserves the right to conduct background checks and send staff for drug testing.